Our Community

 

On August 4, 2015, in an article found here, the town of East Berlin with less than 2,000 residents was voted one of the top 10 safest, most peaceful places to live in Pennsylvania!

 

A BRIEF HISTORY OF EAST BERLIN, PENNSYLVANIA


     Berlin was founded in 1764 when Prussian immigrant, John Frankenberger a resident of York County PA purchased 200 acres from Thomas and Richard Penn for 28 pounds, 16 shillings and 7 pence . John Frankenberger named the new community after Berlin in Prussia and on the 8th day of May, 1764 laid out the town into 85 lots, with one main street, four cross streets and five alleys. The lots were approximately 65' wide by 210' deep. Berlin became East Berlin when the post office was established in 1827, in order to distinguish it from another Berlin in Somerset County in the western part of the state.

     It was specified that the houses on each lot had to be a minimum of 16' wide and 20' deep and had to have either a stone or brick chimney.  Purchasers in addition were required to pay a subsequent annual rent of one Spanish dollar, or the value thereof, in Pennsylvania currency. On May 16, 1774 Mr. Frankenberger disposed of his interest to Peter Househill for the sum of 550 pound, and reserved lots #64 and #65 for himself.  Later Mr. Househill on March 18, 1782 sold his interest to Andrew Comfort.

     East Berlin became an incorporated Borough on November 10, 1879. The land was surveyed and was found to contain four hundred and seven acres neat measure.

 

      East Berlin is an historic town located in Adams County, Pennsylvania.

The main street was placed on the national register of Historic Place in recognition of its many early buildings seen below.


Log Cabin 1Log Cabinschool houseSchool House


Swigarts mill 3Swigart's Mill (front)millSwigart's Mill (back)

Fire House 1Liberty #1 Engine HouseRed Mens HallRed Men's Hall

© 2018 Trinity Lutheran Church
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community